Tuesday, August 09, 2005

To Madden, Or Not To Madden

Happy Madden day!
Today I am faced with a dilemma… to Madden, or not to Madden. But before I go on, a warning to the people who frequent my blog for music and movie rants… this is neither… this is a video game rant which is so inexplicably nerdy that I will not blame you for just moving on… but I digress. Today, John Madden Football ’06 comes out and I am completely torn as to whether to pick it up or not. This dilemma is deeper than the mere wanting of a video game; it’s a matter of principle!

First, some background. I am a football addict. I freely admit it. More specifically, I am a football VIDEO GAME addict. In my opinion, no other professional sport translates to the small screen the way football does. It is more about your ability with a controller, it’s the strategy in your play calling, your ability to read the defense, to pick up that blitz, to see the safety creeping up, knowing when not to go over the middle because the linebackers are in zone coverage. One of my very first video game obsessions was Nintendo’s “Play-Action Football” for the NES. Not only did I learn the game, I learned football. As many of you know, I never actually played competitive football on any level. In high school, at 5’9” and 140 lbs I just wasn’t big enough, or fast enough to really get out there an compete. So I was a band and choir geek (yes I admit it). But I still played “sandlot” football on the weekends with my friends, most of which were on the team. Was never fast, but I could throw a mighty tight spiral that was fairly accurate for up to 20 yards. Again… band and choir geek, not a football player.

Anyways, my love of the video grid iron progressed with the advent of “Tecmo Bowl” on the NES. I still have fond memories of destroying the defense with the unstoppable video Bo Jackson (arguably the most unstoppable video game athlete in the history of video games). From there it was “Tecmo Super Bowl”, then “Super Tecmo Bowl” on the SNES. Finally, the panicle of football games, was the day I got my SEGA Genesis and the very first, “John Madden Football”. This set new standards for football realism and strategy. Unfortunately, that realism was lost on my Dad who would just hoof the ball down field EVERY PLAY and usually end up beating with that lame ass approach. (That’s right, I know you’re reading! It was cheap and you know it! :P )Sometime later in High School I became addicted to the stats and the management aspect of the game. That’s when I discovered “Front Page Sports Football” for the PC. Gone were the days when I played the game… now I just sim’d the games and managed my team. As I entered this new phase of geekdome, surprisingly I still managed to have a girlfriend. Shocking, I know :)

Sometime in 1998, I was introduced to “Front Office Football”…. Hands down the BEST text based football simulation ever! You don’t even have the option to play the games because there were no graphics, just text. I lost so many hours and so much sleep over this game that it is beyond even talking about. At this time I thought I would never want to actually play a football game again. Then… in 2001, I got a PS2 with “John Madden 2002” and my life changed once again. Football on the next gen consoles added more realism and control than ever imagined. It wasn’t until my third year of law school however, when “NCAA Football – 2003” came out that I was a complete addict once again. Then it became a party game. One by one, my law school colleagues started coming over to play, until it got to the point where it where we had full blown tournaments that would last well into the morning. The “girls” would call us up to go out on a Friday night and we would actually CHOOSE to stay in and play video games. And it was great. One night in particular, I think I had about 8 guys crammed into my tiny Spartan Village apartment in an epic tournament. We had a TV set up for the video game, another for the Pistons game, case after case of beer and about a half dozen pizza’s. Well the festivities went late… and about 2:00 in the morning we were greeted by the Michigan State Police at my door after a bunch of noise complaints.
“You boys having a party in here?”
“No officer, just a bunch of law students playing video games on a Friday night”.

So we move on… Just this past year I left the Madden world and moved on to “ESPN: NFL Football 2005”. Great game, plus it was only $20. Not bad for a game that was actually BETTER than Madden which ran about $50. Played the hell out of that game last year. Of course it wasn’t as fun without my classmates to talk trash to, but still a very solid game. However, this past Spring, EA Sports (the makers of Madden) bought the EXCLUSIVE rights to all NFL video games, effectively eliminating the ESPN Football franchise. This is where my dilemma kicks in. I hate not having the choice. I hate monopolies. I hate big business. And now, the game I love is big business, bullying the other companies out. This just doesn’t sit right with me. The sad thing is… we all know I’ll end up getting “Madden ‘06” because I’m an addict… However, out of protest to EA Sports’ incredulous business tactics, I did not Pre Order the game and did not wait in line when it went on sale last night at midnight… so there!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that is an interesting ramble about the relationship between a boy and his video game - but to set the record straight I did not "hoof" is that like loft? the ball - I had atleast 3 other effective plays, including a very effective screen pass - you just played the computer too often and it was relatively predictable - then you played me and I just didn't know (or care) any better and did whatever I could do. The controllers and I were not the best of friends - so that also limited my options.

To make your already long story short - just go and get the dang thing - you will anyway - that way you can love/hate the new game all at the same time.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Dude... you hoofed the ball :)
OK... so you had 3 plays, the infamous Hoof, the Hail Mary, and the Screen pass. And yes... I was used to playing the computer and not real people but it wasn't so much that the computer was predictable; it was more that your play calling defied all logic. Who runs a screen pass on 3rd and 24 on their own 15? Better yet, who runs "deep outs" as their first play from scrimmage?!?!? I couldn't combat that logic... I guess you could say that it was brilliant in its insanity.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I would run too - ok - so it was by accident and both of us were caught off guard - I was as surprised as the next guy to see that it worked - never did get too comfortable with those little play diagrams - trying to read too much - but some of my strategic play calling was not bad - judging by the results - just unorthodox in the real world - and you not so real world of Madden Football.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I resent the assertation that Madden is not the real world :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

uhhh... thanks? Not really a car person (If my car stops and it's not on "E", I'm screwed), but I'm sure I'll keep it in mind.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

='Brand New News From The Timber Industry!!'=

========Latest Profile==========
Energy & Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY)
Current Price $0.15
================================

Recognize this undiscovered gem which is poised to jump!!

Please read the following Announcement in its Entierty and
Consider the Possibilities�
Watch this One to Trade!

Because, EGTY has secured the global rights to market
genetically enhanced fast growing, hard-wood trees!

EGTY trading volume is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement.
The value of this Stock appears poised for growth! This one will not
remain on the ground floor for long.

KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===============
"BREAKING NEWS"
===============

-Energy and Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY) owns a global license to market
the genetically enhanced Global Cedar growth trees, with plans to
REVOLUTIONIZE the forest-timber industry.

These newly enhanced Global Cedar trees require only 9-12 years of growth before they can
be harvested for lumber, whereas worldwide growth time for lumber is 30-50 years.

Other than growing at an astonishing rate, the Global Cedar has a number of other benefits.
Its natural elements make it resistant to termites, and the lack of oils and sap found in the wood
make it resistant to forest fire, ensuring higher returns on investments.

The wood is very lightweight and strong, lighter than Poplar and over twice
as strong as Balsa, which makes it great for construction. It also has
the unique ability to regrow itself from the stump, minimizing the land and
time to replant and develop new root systems.

Based on current resources and agreements, EGTY projects revenues of $140 Million
with an approximate profit margin of 40% for each 9-year cycle. With anticipated
growth, EGTY is expected to challenge Deltic Timber Corp. during its initial 9-year cycle.

Deltic Timber Corp. currently trades at over $38.00 a share with about $153 Million in revenues.
As the reputation and demand for the Global Cedar tree continues to grow around the world
EGTY believes additional multi-million dollar agreements will be forthcoming. The Global Cedar nursery has produced
about 100,000 infant plants and is developing a production growth target of 250,000 infant plants per month.

Energy and Asset Technology is currently in negotiations with land and business owners in New Zealand,
Greece and Malaysia regarding the purchase of their popular and profitable fast growing infant tree plants.
Inquiries from the governments of Brazil and Ecuador are also being evaluated.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little
known Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens.
This stock will not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right
Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!


GO EGTY!


All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such.
We may own, take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any statements that express or involve discussions with respect
to predictions, goals, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, objectives, assumptions or future events or performance are
not statements of historical fact and may be "forward, looking
statements." forward, looking statements are based on expectations, estimates
and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results
or events to differ materially from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid $3,000 from third party (IR Marketing).
Forward, looking statements in this action may be identified through the use of words such as: "projects", "foresee", "expects". in compliance with Section 17. {b), we disclose the holding of EGTY shares prior to the publication of this report. Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shares may be sold at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company. Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in our statements and opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward, looking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations involving various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to
differ materially from those set forth in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to buy or sell stocks, this text is
or informational purpose only and you should seek professional advice from registered financial advisor before you do anything related
with buying or selling stocks, penny stocks are very high risk and you can lose your entire investment.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

wow... blog spam

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
http://easy-hit-counters.com/ Listed on BlogShares