Monday, February 20, 2006

The Opposite of Funny


In the history of comic strips, has there ever been a more un-funny run than the past 10 years of Garfield? Take this strip from last week... is that funny? Amusing? Clever? It's more like bad performance art. I know there is a point in there somewhere, but I just don't get it.

The sad thing is, I used to be a HUGE Garfield fan. When I was growing up I couldn't get enough of the Garfield Treasuries and collections. LOVED them. In fact, I still watch Garfield and Friends every morning while I get ready for work... but please, please Jim Davis... stop running daily strips. Calvin and Hobbs knew when it was time to bow out... The Far Side left far too soon as well, but for some reason Garfield remains. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only Garfield - but what is it with running the old Peanuts cartoons? Granted they were wonderful to the end of Charles Schultz life - but let them go! Give the space to someone new!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I could not agree more. I was on board with continuing the run for awhile just after Schultz died, but when is it going to end? Especially where there are some genuinely funny strips out there?!?! I am a big fan of Shermans Lagoon and the Boondocks, but they just get lost in the mess of Garfield and Peanuts! Now don't get me started on Rex Morgan MD or Family Circus, or even Spider-man!! Arugh! Spider-man should not be a daily three panel strip!!! Ok.. deep breaths Jay :)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
http://easy-hit-counters.com/ Listed on BlogShares